Day 1: Chepstow to Caldicot

Finding out that Wales has a continuous dedicated coastal footpath (which claims to be the only of its kind in the world) and reading The Electricity of Every Living Thing by Katherine May are the two causal events that lead to me deciding to take on this journey. It will be a piecemeal process in which I do different stretches here and there when I'm able. I turned 30 on 22/03/2020 and hope to complete the entire coastal path by the time I am 40. 

Chepstow to Caldicot
Distance: 9 miles (RT: 9 miles)
Falafels: 4 (RT: 4)


After going the wrong way at the castle and heading towards the Wye Valley, I am finally off. Sadly I also think I missed the official start of the path! This is just so typically me though that really, it couldn't be any other way. 


First glimpse of the Severn Bridge. It formed the point of reference for this first part. I used to work in Weston-super-Mare and commuted there from Cardiff for a while. I'd always drive over the bridge and think about how much I'd rather be walking.





      A warm welcome to Chepstow and to Wales in the tunnel under the M48. A mixture of different fonts and images explain that Chepstow is a small town with lots to offer, especially for walkers and cyclists.


I think this is a good way to start any sentence about Wales (or about me!). 


The first of what will probably be many animal encounters. Don't be afraid Mrs. Cow. I am a friend. I have been completely vegan for about a year now so my coastal path journey is powered mainly by falafel, peanut butter and banana muffins.

Photographs never really capture expansive panaromamic views.

When you think you can't go on, it's time to crack out one of Pat's banana muffins. 

The bridge is getting closer and closer. The thought of all the people driving over it oblivious to my little mission make me feel very anonymous.


Is it a pigeon or is it something more fancy? Maybe I will learn to recognise more birds as I go along. 


Eye-catching ruins outside Sudbrook. They made me think of witches and cauldrons for some reason. I think it's, the shape, you can just imagine three evil sisters huddled underneath the arch as there pot of tricks boils and hisses and smoke rises up into the sky:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbrook,_Monmouthshire





The bridge and the coastal path. Seemed an iconic shot to capture this first scene. Especially when I think about how I posted it to Instagram and mistakenly labelled it as the old bridge. 



The second animal encounter. I thought I might be in for a bit of a kicking if I approached from behind. Apparently he likes to stand in this spot to escape the other horses who pick on him. Don't let them get you down matey! 


...and I have made a start on the Wales Coastal Path! 

Comments

  1. Keep at it. Only a couple of hundred miles to go. !!!🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8: Porthkerry to Llantwit Major

Day 2: Caldicot to Goldcliff